Making your own playdough is super fun and inexpensive way to facilitate imaginary play in both big and little kids. We love this recipe as its super soft but not at all sticky when you are playing with it.
At the moment we are very dinosaur focused in our house so we tend to be using this recipe regularly to create a miniature squishy Jurassic Park. We have so much fun actually mixing up the dough by adding in various colours and scents for a full sensory experience.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons oil ( vegetable, baby or coconut)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in slowly)
- 1 teaspoon of glycerine
- Gel food colouring
- Edible scent
- Combine the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Boil your water and measure out the amount required. Add in your food colouring and scents to the water and stir to mix.
- Add the water mix to your dry ingredients a bit at a time until you have a slightly sticky and combined dough. Add in the glycerine and mix again to combine.
- Allow the dough to cool and knead consistently until it is no longer sticky. If after you have finished kneading and it is still slightly sticky, add a bit more flour.