Make your own bird cupcakes
Spring has sprung and the birds are chirping at all hours of the day. As each bloom bursts it's another promise that brighter days are so close. Making your own bird feeder is a great way for kids to be proactive in giving back to the natural world around them.
What you need
- Good quality bird seed
- Grated cheese
- Sunflower seeds
- 250 grams of lard
- Cupcake wraps
- Mixing bowl
- Carefully make a small hole in the bottom of a cupcake wrap and thread string through the hole and tie a knot on the inside. Leave enough string so that you can tie the bird cupcake to a tree.
- Place the lard into a small saucepan and slowly heat to room temperature, but don’t melt it. Then cut it up into small pieces and put it in the mixing bowl.
- Place the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and thoroughly mix through. You will need roughly 150 grams of dry mix per 250 grams of lard.
- Add the lard to the dry mixture and mix through with a wooden spoon until the fat holds it all together.
- Fill your cupcake wraps with bird cake mixture and put them in the fridge to set for an hour or so.
- Now you are ready to hang your bird cupcakes from the trees around your garden and watch them flock for a springtime party. How many different types of birds can you spot?