We are very particular about what we put in our products and love that our baking kits do not contain any hidden nasties. We are also conscious about what we put on our skin especially when it comes to our kids with sensitive skin.
As our kids are all entering that fun tween stage, the focus has turned rapidly to lip balms and facial products.
Here is a natural, no nasties lip balm recipe to create at home. Experiment with different colours and flavours and share with friends as a cute little gift.
What you need
- 16 g Cocoa butter
- 6g Beeswax
- Wooden ice lolly stick
- 4 small tins or glass jars
- non stick small saucepan
- 4 teaspoons of Olive oil or Sunflower oil
- Natural beetroot powder, tumeric, blueberry powder or spirulina to colour
- Food grade oil based fragrance oil
- Pour 4 teaspoons of oil into a small saucepan
- Add the beeswax and cocoa butter to the saucepan on a very low heat.
- Continue to stir with the wooden ice lolly stick until the mixture is melted. Do not let the mixture boil over. Make sure you have an adult present as the mixture is very hot at this stage.
- Now it’s time to add in your colour and flavour. We like to use beetroot powder to give it a burst of colour but your can leave it natural if you prefer. Any powdered superfood would work, spirulina for a blue/green, turmeric for a rich yellow or blueberry powder for a purple.
- To add in a delicious scent, make sure you select food grade oil based fragrance oil. Food colouring or icing flavours wont mix with the oil. There are a number of companies that sell fragrance oils in bubblegum or berry or cookie dough that would be suitable.
- Stir the mixture well and pour the mix into your lip balm tins or small glass jars. Transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes to set.
- Wipe up the saucepan with a cloth to remove all mixture. Do not wash it down the drain.
- You can design a sticker for each tin and give them to your friends as a gift.