At Craft & Crumb our mission is to provide families with opportunities to create and bake memories, not landfill.
As sustainability is a core focus for our business, we are constantly challenging ourselves to be more socially & environmentally responsible in all areas of our life.
We discovered these Beeswax wraps a while ago and wanted to share it with you all. They are perfect for wrapping up an leftover cupcakes, if there are any leftovers! You can even use them as gift wrapping if you have baked a sweet treat for a friend.
What you need
- Pure organic beeswax pellets (cosmetic & food safe grade)
- Cotton fabric
- Pastry Brush or new paint brush
- Baking paper or tin foil
- Baking tray
- Hanger & pegs
- Preheat the oven to 100 °c
- Cut the fabric into sizes for your selected food wraps. Make sure it will fit on your baking tray.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper or tin foil and place the fabric on top. Make sure the baking tray is completely protected as you do not want any wax to melt on your tray. Use a fresh piece of baking paper or tin foil with each wrap.
- Cover your fabric with the beeswax pellets. Ensure you have enough to completely cover the sheet once it all melts. Cover the edges too for full coverage.
- Place the tray in the oven for about 4-6 minutes or until fully melted. Keep a close eye on it as you do not want it to burn. When the wax is melted, use the brush to completely cover the fabric so it is soaked through.
- Remove the fabric from the baking tray using tongs and wave it carefully in the air above the tray until it is cool to touch. Peg the fabric to the hanger to dry completely. Discard the baking paper or tin foil and use a new piece is you want to make another wrap.
- Once the beeswax has set you may now use to cover your food. If you wanted to make a sandwich pouch or snack bag, you can fold the sheet and hand sew or sew two sheets together for a bigger bag.
- These wraps are reusable so simply wash your wraps in cold water and allow to dry. Do not use hot water or place in the microwave.