School Snackbox - School Dinner Sprinkle Sponge Tray Bake
Now that school is back we are so happy that we can finally move from the hourly snacking to packing only one snack for the whole day. Our kids also love a bit of after school snacking and do love the odd sweet treat at the school gate.
This nostalgic School Dinner Sprinkle Sponge Tray Bake is perfect for a homemade sweet treat for the kids or can even hit the spot for your pre school pick up afternoon tea.
- 300 g butter
- 300 g caster sugar
- 300 g self raising flour
- 5 large eggs
- 95 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 400 g icing sugar
- 8 tbsp milk
- 50 g sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Line a square or rectangle tin with baking paper.
- For a soft and spongy cake make sure that you have left the butter in room temperature.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs one by one and mix well.
- Once all the eggs have been added, add in the flour using 2 tablespoons at a time to make sure the mixture is smooth.
- Add in the milk and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Pour the cake mixture into the tray and bake for around 25 minutes, keeping an eye on the cake until it turns golden brown.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for about 15 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
- Once the cake has fully cooled down, make the icing by adding the milk into the icing sugar.
- Pour the icing into the middle of the cake and spread carefully with a spatula. Let the icing run along the sides of the cake. Then add the sprinkles!